Sunday, November 2, 2014

Using Voice Thread in the Classroom

I was interested by the digital storytelling tool Voice Thread, presented by my classmates as their Tech Tools in Use project. For whatever reason, it took me some time to understand the purpose of such a tool. But, now that it has been a few weeks since the presentation, I find myself valuing the tool.

When I consider myself as a learner, I certainly learn best via conversation. In preparing for my own U-M classes, I generally read the assigned readings quite thoroughly, highlighting the sentences I consider to convey the main points. By the time I get to class, I have a vague idea of the purpose/main points of the readings. But, once I am able to discuss what I learned with my classmates, the act of a) considering the ideas more actively, b) putting my ideas into words (in order to convey them to classmates), and c) hearing myself and others speak the ideas helps me to retain them.  

Additionally, I notice that images stick in my brain quite reliably. Thus, when a teacher shows an image that captures my attention and simultaneously speaks the significance, I often have an easy time recalling what was said. My mental representation of the image helps me to recall what the teacher had been saying.

It seems Voice Thread is the perfect technological substitute for these two in-class activities I just discussed. Voice Thread can provide a virtual vocalized presentation of images that serve as attention-grabbing illustrations. And, similar to real-life conversations, ideas may stick in audio-oriented students’ brains, while the capability for student questions/comments allows for active engagement and participation.


Changing media of learning can often function as an attention-grabber for students who are becoming bored with the norm. In general, I feel that in-person discussion and in-person presentation/lecture are superior to a digital storytelling presentation. This is because in person, the presentation can and does change slightly to match the interests and personality of the particular class period. However, Voice Thread could serve as an excellent medium for work to be done either at home or during a sub day. While I certainly don’t think it should serve as a substitute for readings, I do think it could serve as an effective complement to ideas presented in readings.

No comments:

Post a Comment