Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Video Games in the Classroom

When I was a kid, I had two older brothers who loved playing video games. As the littlest kid and the only sister, I had no choice but to sit down next to them and watch. I remember my brothers playing a range of different types of games over the years: I have a memory from perhaps age 5 when my brothers played some shoot-the-ducks game on the original Nintendo with a console controller shaped like a large hunting gun. Later, I remember my brothers being excited about Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros on N64, Mario Party, and finally Dance Dance Revolution on PS2. Once I myself became an adolescent, I remember going to my friend's house to play the Sims.

As recently as last month, one of my housemates in my college group-house brought from home his collection of perhaps 30 PS2 games that he had built up over the years. He hadn't played them in years. Inevitably and immediately, though, a group of 5 guys in my house gathered around and entertained themselves for hours with those darn games.

My brothers spent countless hours of their childhood on these games - clearly they're not the only ones. If education could be conducted through a system that stimulates as much internal motivation as video games do, we'd end up with a highly (and happily) educated population.

Currently, there are countless games on the internet meant as "educational." I played the BBC Interactive History game on Iron Age Life. I found this thoroughly underwhelming: this game was nothing like the games that consumed my brothers. You could hardly call this a game. As the "player," you clicked around on artifacts that you thought people from the Iron Age used to create a fire. If you guessed correctly, text would pop up that would explain to you how this particular item was used. Once you correctly guessed all 7 items, the game would demonstrate how they all fit together to create a fire, and you could later take a multiple choice quiz on this same information to test your resulting "knowledge."

I don't call this a game and I don't call this educational. To correctly be considered a game, I say an activity needs to genuinely challenge the player to creatively problem-solve. There was no creative problem solving here - only educated guessing. And to correctly be considered educational, I say an activity needs to guide you through a new method of thinking; this "game" did not.

So, when video games are sufficiently complex as to create an entire mini world in which multiple courses of action are available to achieve a multi-step goal, they can certainly be educational, and as a result they certainly belong in the classroom. When "games" are simply a series of mini webpages that present information passively to the student, however, they do not belong in the classroom.

When games aide students in actively constructing knowledge, I fully support their use. When they do not, they belong in the garbage heap with all the other passive methods of "gaining" knowledge.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you. My kids love games, but because the majority of the "good" games are not educational I severely limit their exposure. If the money in gaming could be directed toward educational inclusion, it would be very easy to convince my kids to go work on math, grammar, foreign language, history... It would be so easy to intrinsically educate them while playing. Apparently the current disconnect between games and education leaves us waiting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of you make great points about education video games. I also agree, however when used correctly there are some games that I would allow my students to use. Rachel B, did you find any games that might be beneficial to you in the classroom? I was surprised that I found one that I plan to use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, I also played this game and agree that it was underwhelming (I think the word "awful" may even apply here). At first, I thought I was going to have to use the items around me to build a fire. This might not have been so bad as it would require some critical thinking to determine what resources could be used and how they fit together. Unfortunately, the user literally clicks on items and reads - how incredibly boring and disappointing. I agree that there is a place for games in the classroom, but I also agree that this was not one of them. Indeed, as you mention, it can hardly be considered a game.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel, I found your critique of this BBC game to be interesting on multiple levels. In highlighting the shortcomings of the game you noted that "...an activity needs to genuinely challenge the player to creatively problem-solve. There was no creative problem solving here - only educated guessing. And to correctly be considered educational, I say an activity needs to guide you through a new method of thinking; this "game" did not."
    I love your critique, and it made me wonder (as I suspect Gee would) about the potential value of using precisely these criteria to evaluate other classroom activities. This might be a very interesting frame of reference to hang onto and to potentially use elsewhere...

    ReplyDelete